This solution article will explain when and how to replace the BuildTak Surface. This is surface is part of the magnetic Flexplate system available on Leapfrog Bolt and now standard on Leapfrog Bolt PRO.
The BuildTak Surface has a adhesive liner which connects it to the BuildTak Flexplate. When replacing the Surface you can re-use the Flexplate. When applying a new Surface please ensure that the Flexplate is clean and free of debris.
Step 1: Determine if your BuildTak Surface needs to be replaced:
Replacement is recommended when you are experiencing one of the following issues:
- The surface has deep cuts or deformations which leave a mark on your 3D printed object
- The surface pattern or texture has degraded to a degree where 3D printed objects do not adhere properly anymore. (Please ensure that the material you are trying to print is supported for the type of BuildTak Surface used)
- The Surface has bubbles or other defects to it that compromise the flatness.
Step 2: Removing the current Surface from the Flexplate.
- Remove the flexplate from your Leapfrog 3D Printer and place it on a flat surface
- Manually peel off one of the edges of your surface, after this remove the surface completely. We do not recommend the use of sharp tools that could damage your flexplate.
Step 3: Aligning a Surface on the Flexplate
- Trim the BuildTak sheet to match the size of your build plate (if not already). In case your sheet is smaller then the flexplate (340x332mm) please have a look at the Alignment instructions on the image below.
Step 4: Installing the Surface on the Flexplate
- Wipe down your Flexplate making sure it is clean and free of debris
- Remove the white adhesive liner and apply the BuildTak sheet to the bare build plate. Start from one edge of the build plate and work your way to the other edge, smoothing the BuildTak sheet with a credit card or decal applicator.
Also see: https://www.buildtak.eu/support/#FAQ